Monday, January 14, 2013

With this ring...

This weekend I was struck with some rare wedding motivation. I say rare, because usually when I start thinking of the wedding plans, I tend to panic and strive to think of anything but the wedding. I decided to take advantage of this motivation and get things done. The end result is that I was able to cross one thing off my list. It's not much, but it's better than nothing!

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about what Will, my nephew and ring bearer, should use as his ring-bearing "pillow". For some reason, I think it's weird to see a boy carrying a fluffy pillow covered in lace and ribbons, so I looked for something else. After a google image search, I managed to find a great DIY tutorial for an amazing box to hold the rings. Thanks to the girls at The Knotty Bride for this one! Here's the link to the post: http://theknottybride.com/32740

First, I purchased a wooden box from Hobby Lobby. This awesome box was only $2.99! Next I went to Home Depot and bought wood stain (I used Minwax Wood Finish English Chestnut). Once the box was stained, it looked awesome! I was so excited.
















After I stained the box, I propped it open and let it dry overnight. The next day, I prepared to write on the box. I was a little scared of just going for it with the paint pen. The blog recommended using a pencil first and then going over it with the pen, but the pencil barely showed up when I tried, so I got the brilliant idea to use chalk! It wiped right off and I was able to try different options before settling on Mr. and Mrs. (I tried 'His' and 'Hers', but for some reason I could not make 'Hers' fit!)




















Unfortunately, my paint pen ran out before I was able to write anything on the top of the box and I'm having a hard time deciding what I want it to say! I've posted 3 options below, so let me know what you think!

2 comments: