Sunday, January 20, 2013

Men plan, God laughs.

Over two months ago, I quit my job. And I've never been happier. Let me back up...

In college, I majored in Public Relations and I LOVED it. I was excited to go to my classes, excited for my internship, even excited to write papers. I was ready to graduate, get accepted into a grad program,  work as a TA while getting another internship, work a few years in the PR field, then when I started having kids, I would quit and begin my own PR firm where I'd work from home. It was a fool-proof plan, right?! Well, I got accepted into the grad program I wanted. Unfortunately, state funding cut the amount of TA positions available and I just barely made the cut. There was no way I could take out more student loans to pay for additional education. So I threw my dreams of grad school out the window and started looking for jobs. Easy, right?

Turns out, jobs aren't that easy to come by. After graduating and being jobless for a few weeks, the unemployment started driving me crazy. I had to do SOMETHING. ANYTHING. So I accepted a job at a day care center in town. It would only be temporary while I searched for a PR job. I'd be there two months, TOPS. Right?

Wrong again, as always. After a while, I gave up on the job search. I wasn't necessarily happy with my current job, but I was making a little money and the kids were (usually) kinda cute. Fast forward a year and I started looking for jobs again. I finally got an interview at a huge corporate company, and they offered me a job! Again, it wasn't the most ideal job, but it paid more! I accepted and I was so excited to start. Life was going to be sooooo much better. Right?

Seriously. I need to learn that I'm almost always wrong when it comes to these things! I was MISERABLE. And I'm not talking the usual, "I don't like my job". I'm talking, tears flowing, feel-like-I'm-going-to-vomit, MISERABLE. Poor Mark. He listened patiently to my tears everyday before I went in to work. He encouraged me and was so supportive and I'm so grateful for him. When I started thinking more about it, I realized I missed the day care. WHAT?!? I missed it? Yes. I missed the kids running to me and hugging me in the morning. I missed them waving goodbye when they left at night. I missed the slobbery kisses, the giant smiles, and the adorable giggles. I missed be able to talk to my coworkers and feeling like they actually cared about my life. I missed normal hours, weekends, and the ability to breathe during my work day. 

And so I quit.

And I'm back at the day care. Yes, sometimes the kids drive me crazy. Sometimes, when they have snot running past their chins, I cringe. But then I think about how unhappy I was before and how happy I am now. Sure, I'm not making as much money as I was, but I'm going to be ok. I'll be here for 5 more months and then I'll move away and start a new search for a job. I'm not sure what I'll find, but I think I've learned to let go and let things happen that are meant to happen. And I think that will make me happy. 

1 comment: